- If you’re getting a full-screen notification when you unlock Windows, click here.
- If you’re getting a notification from your Get Windows 10 app, click here.
- If you want to learn how to turn off notifications, click here.
Notifications from the Get Windows 10 app
As the end of the free upgrade offer approaches, if you had not already scheduled your upgrade, you may receive a notification from the Get Windows 10 app that says, “Don’t miss out. Free upgrade offer ends July 29.”
- Select Upgrade now to begin the upgrade to Windows 10.
- Select Choose time to schedule when your upgrade will occur. Note: This option may no longer appear as we approach the final days of the offer.
- Select Decline free offer to stay on your current version of Windows. Once you confirm that you want to decline the free offer, your device will be marked to no longer receive notifications about the Windows 10 upgrade offer expiring on July 29.
Note: If you click on the red “X”, the screen will close and no further action is needed. This notification is designed to appear every few days until you choose one of the three options provided above.
Until the updated experience reaches all customers, some customers may instead receive a notification that shows that your PC is already scheduled to upgrade to Windows 10:
This notification means your Windows 10 upgrade will occur at the time indicated, unless you select either Upgrade now or “Clickhere to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade”. If you click on OK or on the red “X”, you’re all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do.
When you close this pop up, your PC will upgrade at the scheduled time. Based on customer feedback, in more recent versions of the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app, we confirm the time of your scheduled upgrade and provide you an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade. The screen you see may change slightly based on new feedback.
Changing your scheduled upgrade
BeforeJuly 22nd, 2016 if you have chosen a time for your scheduled upgrade and you would like to change when it occurs, or if you would like to cancel your scheduled upgrade, follow these steps:
- Open the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app by clicking the Windows icon at the bottom of your screen:
- Select Reschedule to change or cancel your scheduled upgrade.
- Choose a time to reschedule your upgrade and then select Confirm.
- If you want to cancel your upgrade, select Cancel scheduled upgrade. Then confirm on the next screen.
When you schedule your upgrade, you will receive a reminder 15 minutes before the upgrade starts. When the reminder appears, you can click I need more time to reschedule or cancel the upgrade.
After July 23rd, 2016, you will no longer be able to schedule or reschedule the Windows upgrade. (You will still be able to cancel or upgrade now.) If your upgrade was already scheduled, when you open the Get Windows 10 app, you will see the scheduled time and options to Cancel scheduled upgrade or Upgrade now.
Fifteen minutes before the upgrade starts, you will see a reminder screen, but will no longer be able to postpone the installation.
You can cancel your upgrade by clicking Cancel scheduled upgrade at the reminder screen, or when launching the Get Windows 10 app.
Notifications when you unlock Windows
If you’re on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1, you may receive a full-screen notification when unlocking Windows that the free upgrade offer is ending. Click here to see KB 3173040 with more information about this notification.
If you are running an outdated version of Windows 7 or Windows 8, you may instead receive a full-screen notification with options to get up date. Click here to see KB 3163589 with more information.
Turning off notifications
If you no longer want to receive pop-up notifications for the free upgrade offer, you can turn off notifications and hide the GWX app. If you do not wish to upgrade, then prior to taking the following steps to turn off notifications, you should also confirm that you have canceled any scheduled upgrade by following the instructions above. (Note: If your upgrade is already scheduled, the reminder that occurs 15 minutes before the upgrade starts will appear even if notifications have been turned off.)
- Right-click (or press and hold) the Taskbar, and then select Properties.
- On the Taskbar tab, go down to the Notification area and select Customize…
- In the Notification Area Icons window, for the GWX icon, select Hide icon and notifications.